Student Services (Guidance)
Counsellors are assigned to a grade level and follow students to Graduation
Our primary role includes academic tracking, career counselling, post-secondary preparation for all pathways, and we facilitate a team approach with Administration, Student Success teachers, Special Education staff, all support groups which includes the school social worker, ESL staff, school nurse, Chaplain, Christian Service Animator, and all school staff to promote a “BE READY, BE PRESENT, BE BRAVE” life long learner.
Click here for PREPARATION FOR REGISTRATION, COURSE SELECTION AND TRANSITION
- We also have a Transitions Team comprised administration, guidance counsellors, Special Education Resource Teacher, and Student Success teachers who plan and prepare Orientation, Transition for Grades 7 to 10 activities and supports for high school. The purpose of this Team is to ensure that students are supported and successful in their transition to high school
- Grade 8 students from our Catholic Feeder Schools will receive all necessary Registration information throughout the school year
- If your child is from a Public Elementary School, we ask that you contact the school at your earliest convenience to inform us that your child would like to attend SJB (905-388-7020)
- Grade 8 teachers will make recommendations for course levels based on student achievement and, as parents/guardians, you will choose courses based on these recommendations and the knowledge of your child’s needs
- In the Grade 9 Course Selection guide you will find the diploma requirements as well as course descriptions and registration information. There is a sample of the grade 9 option sheet as well as a planning guide. Please use both for the planning of courses choices; the option sheet will be a rough draft. In January grade 8s will be required to hand in the pink option sheet (attached) that will be completed by the grade 8 teacher and then by the grade 8 student in conjunction with their parent or guardian.
- One of the requirements for graduation is 40 Christian Service Hours. Grade 8s may begin accumulating Christian Service Hours as of July the year they start grade 9 in September
- Passport to Grade 9 is a two-day orientation program aimed at alleviating the stressors around the first week of school. We practice opening your locker, finding classes and grade 8s will have the run of the school for two days at the end of August. It’s a great way to ease into grate 9.
- Please follow us on Instagram, @sjbguidance for up-to-date information
Our 2023 parent guide is currently being finalized. Check back soon!